Crye-Leike Teams Up with United Blood Services to Hold Blood Drive

Hot Springs, Ark. – Real estate agents in the Hot Springs area have been issued a public challenge by Crye-Leike, Realtors to join them in their efforts to meet the critical need for blood by donating at Crye-Leike’s first 2004 Hot Springs Realtors Blood Drive Challenge on October 12, 2004.

Crye-Leike, Realtors is teaming up with United Blood Services to conduct the blood drive. The drive will be held at Crye-Leike’s Hot Springs branch office, located at 1420 Central Avenue from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., where a blood mobile unit will be utilized and visible for walk-up traffic.

Tapping into the real estate community is a new niche for United Blood Services, said company officials.

“We are always looking for innovative ways in which to maintain a steady supply of blood for the three hospitals in the area in which we are a main supplier for,” said Tom Wilkins, a community representative for United Blood Services. “Locally, area residents donate 63 percent of the monthly blood sent to our three hospitals. That means that we must ship in the remaining 37 percent needed from our other two centers within the state to meet our local needs. With less than 5 percent of the population in any given area donating blood, tapping into the Realtor community is one of several new marketing strategies we are exploring to ease the shortage.”

Expectations are high for Crye-Leike’s Realtors Blood Drive said Bob Benscoter, managing broker of Crye-Leike’s Hot Springs branch office. “With four donor beds available at a time and the potential to reach over 350 members of the Hot Springs Board of Realtors, we expect a strong showing.”

As incentives, volunteers who donate a pint of blood will receive a free souvenir t-shirt, Papa Johns Pizza and opportunities to become eligible for door prizes donated by local businesses in the area.

Door prizes include: a two-night stay for two at Velda Rose Hotel; one white rose spa session at the Rose Garden Spa; a $50 gift certificate to Orthopedics Associates of Arkansas; Sunday luncheon buffet for two at Trumpets Restaurant; dinner for two at Rocky’s Pizza; gift basket from Starbucks; two tickets to the Bath House Show; $50 gift certificate to Angel’s Restaurant; two show tickets to Maxwell Blade Magic Show; and ? page advertisement space in The Real Estate Book, valued at $170, with more to come.

If you are a business organizing a blood drive for the first time, United Blood Services ask that you set as a goal, a minimum of 15 volunteer blood donors when requesting a blood drive. United Blood Services offers a mobile blood unit that is self contained and is parked in front of the business sponsoring the drive. Or, they can set up a blood drive inside a conference room or cafeteria.

“United Blood Services makes it very easy to donate by providing companies with simple directions to follow in organizing a corporate blood drive,” said Iva Duncan, office administrator of Crye-Leike’s Hot Springs branch office who also is serving as a blood drive coordinator. “The whole donor process is orchestrated in such a way that there are no interruptions during a normal business day and employees are provided the opportunity and convenience of donating blood while at work. We hope that other businesses will join us in holding similar blood drives in their place of business.”

To donate, you must not have given whole blood in the last 56 days. There is no upper age limit for blood donation, but you must be 17 years of age and at least weigh 110 pounds. You also must bring a driver’s license for identification.

“More people need blood than we can imagine,” said Harold Crye, chief executive director of Crye-Leike. “United Blood Services report that every two seconds someone in America needs a blood transfusion.  That blood comes from generous neighbors who make the time to give blood because they know it saves lives.”

To secure a blood donation appointment at Crye-Leike’s blood drive, call blood drive coordinators Iva Duncan or Belinda Jones at 501/321-0800. For more information about blood donation, visit United Blood Services’ Web site at www.unitedbloodservices.org or call 501/624-0667.

Crye-Leike (www.crye-leike.com), a full service real estate company for 27 years, is the nation’s 10th largest real estate company and the largest serving Arkansas and Tennessee.  Crye-Leike’s Hot Springs branch office is one of 12 branch and franchise offices located within its Arkansas Region.